About the Recipe
GLAZED SPRINGERLE WITH LEBKUCHEN SPICE
4.5 large eggs
12 oz confectioner's sugar
(1) 4.75 oz Springerle Joy Lebkuchen Spice Mix*
1 lb cake flour
2 cups powdered sugar 3 tablespoons water 1/2 teaspoon flavoring (vanilla, orange oil, lemon oil, etc.) Food coloring (optional)
1. Whisk together the powdered sugar and Lebkuchen Spice Mix. Set aside.
2. Beat the eggs at high speed on your mixer until the eggs are a frothy crème. (This takes about 4-6 minutes in Kitchen Aid mixer.) With the mixer on low, add the sugar/spice mixture gradually until combined.
3. Quickly switch out the wire whisk and put on paddle attachment. Add the cake flour with mixer on low.
4. Cover dough with plastic wrap and let rest ½ hour. Take ¼ of the dough out of the bowl and knead in flour until the dough can be rolled. Roll out your dough to 3/8" for average size (up to 4" diameter) cookie molds.
5. Dust the surface of the dough and your mold. Mold cookies, cut out the cookies and place on parchment lined cookie sheets.
6. Let molded cookies dry 12 hours.
7. Bake at 290°F 12-20 minutes, until bottoms of cookies begins to change color to a light golden brown.
Notes The advantage to this recipe versus a standard gingerbread recipe is that this dough can reproduce the most delicate cookie mold patterns because it can dry overnight.
1. Combine all ingredients and mix until well combined and smooth.
2. Add more water if necessary.
3. Brush glaze on each cookie after baking.